The roof is an important component of a building. When deciding on the right roofing materials, some homeowners are confused by which roofing manufacturer to go for and which type of shingles to pick. The world of shingle manufacturing is very competitive and flooded with all kinds of entities offering similar roofing products with close prices and warranties. If you don’t know which brand to choose, this guide highlights the two most popular shingle manufacturers in the US: Owens Corning and Malarkey.
Owens Corning is a popular roofing brand known for its stylish shingles. Having been in the roofing industry for about eight decades, Owens Corning has a wide global reach with sustainable products. Their shingles are characterized as laminate or dimensional and come in different sizes, shapes, and colors. The sturdy shingles are thick and offer a more multi-sided appearance, giving them a shake-type or slate-type look. Owens Corning also uses SureNail technology to keep shingles attached to your roof. The shingles come with a lifetime material and workmanship warranty.
Types of Owens Corning Shingles
With Owens Corning, you will get four types of roof shingles: 3-tab or architectural.
- Three-tab – This option contains a fiberglass core surrounded by multiple layers of asphalt and covered with grains with a mineral layer and a gravel seal.
- Architectural – These shingles consist of two bonded asphalt shingles, which makes them heavier and more durable than 3-Tab shingles. They are better suited to a wider variety of designs.
- Wood Shake Look – The thick, ruggedly gorgeous Woodcrest® Shingles use a rustic and textured appearance to create an impression of natural wood shake without requiring the maintenance. These shingles are highly durable and meet the highest fire-resistance standards in the industry (Class A). They are also available in colorful distinctive blends inspired by nature.
- Slate Look – Get the timeless, elegant beauty of natural slate with Berkshire® Shingles. These laminated shingles come in larger dimension tabs of 8-3/8″ x 8-1/2″ and feature unique shadow lines that further enhance the look.
Malarkey is another key player in the roof shingle industry. They’re dedicated to producing durable and dependable products in the market. The shingles come with lifetime warranties and are expected to last 25-50 years. Wyoming Roofing is an Emerald Premium Contractor for Malarkey, which provides an added layer of confidence in your new Malarkey roof.
Types of Malarkey Shingles
Malarkey has three categories of asphalt shingles available: three-tab, designer, and laminated shingles.
- Three-tab – Three-tab shingles are Malarkey’s original and most basic shingles. They are manufactured from a single layer of asphalt with a flat appearance like a slate tile. Since they have a single layer, they are usually lighter and cheaper than other designs.
- Designer Shingles – Malarkey’s asphalt shingles replicate the texture, shade, and elegant appearance of a traditional cedar shake roof. These shingles are heavyweight offering high impact resistance and protect your roof from algae staining.
- Laminated Architectural – If you are looking for a more dimensional appearance, Malarkey’s laminated architectural shingles are your ultimate choice. These top-of-the-class shingles are built on a tough and sustainable asphalt base, making them highly durable.
Are you planning to install a new roof or replace your existing one? You can trust the above leading roofing shingles manufacturers to give you a reliable and durable roof over your head. Contact Wyoming Roofing of Sheridan, WY, today to get started on your roofing project! We’ve been roofing in the Sheridan area since 1998, and our experience has rewarded us with the 2019 Wyoming Small Business Employer of the Year award. We also received the 2019 Small Business Administration for Small Business Person of the Year for the state of Wyoming! By working with us, you’ll have a strong contractor to give you the best possible roofing solutions and support you in the years to come!